Visiting The York County Archives
Research Room Hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm.
In house copies are $.50 a page. Payment can be made by cash, check or credit card. We do not accept bills larger than $20. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover credit cards, but please be aware there is a convenience fee.
Off street parking is available in front of and beside the Archives building at no charge.
Upon arrival researchers will be asked to complete a registration form. Researchers will be required to provide name, address, phone number and photo identification. Researchers will also be asked to read and agree to abide by the following rules.
The York County Archives is dedicated to preserving the records of the County of York. In order to continue to keep these records safe and preserve them for the future, the following policies need to be followed when using the Archives.
- All persons must register at the front desk upon entering the Archives.
- All personal items (purses, bags, briefcases, enclosed notebooks, weapons...) must be locked in a locker. All coats must be hung on the coat rack. One notebook with reference material may be brought to the table. We reserve the right to search any notebook prior to leaving the Archives.
- Cell phones must be on silent mode and may not be used in the building.
- Food and drinks are not permitted in the Archives. Water fountains are located in the research room.
- Pencils must be used while in the Archives. Other writing utensils will cause irreversible damage to original documents.
- The Archives staff will pull documents. The Archives reserves the right to not pull any original document that we feel is too fragile. All documents are available to view in some form, whether it be the original paper, docket or microfilm.
- When a record is available in either a digital format or on microfilm, it must be used in that format. Original documents will not be pulled.
- Archives staff will make all copies. The Archives may determine that a document may not be safely copied due to the condition of the record. If a document is unable to be photocopied, you are always welcome to hand-transcribe.
- Any type of image capturing equipment, including cameras and camera phones, is prohibited by county policy.
- Documents must be handled with care at all times. Records should be kept flat on the table. If you need help handling a document, the Archives staff is always available for assistance.
- Laptop computers may be used, but they must have their own power source.
- Children under the age of twelve must be kept under parental supervision at all times. Children may not touch or handle original documents.
- Under no circumstances are any materials to be removed from the Archives. Violators will be detained and prosecuted under Act 95 (1982) the Libraries / Archives Security Act.
The Archives always welcomes the public to use the County's records. Archives staff is available to assist. If the above policies are not followed, the Archives reserves the right to take appropriate action.
Proceed to I-83 southbound; take Exit 21A (Arsenal Road) to Route 30 East. Exit at Route 24 (Mt. Zion Road) at the end of the ramp bear right. At the first light turn left onto Concord Road. Follow Concord Road to first stop sign. Turn right onto Pleasant Acres Road. The York County Archives is approximately 1 block on your right.
Proceed to I-83 northbound; take Exit 19 (Market Street) at end of ramp bear right. Go straight until sixth light. Turn left on Mt. Zion Road (Route 24). At second light turn right onto Concord Road. Follow Concord Road to first stop sign. Turn right onto Pleasant Acres Road. The York County Archives is approximately 1 block on your right.
Proceed to Route 30 westbound; take Mt. Zion Road Exit (Route 24) at end of ramp make left at light onto Mt. Zion Road. At second light turn left onto Concord Road. Follow Concord Road to first stop sign. Turn right onto Pleasant Acres Road. The York County Archives is approximately 1 block on your right.
Proceed to Route 30 eastbound. Exit at Route 24 (Mt. Zion Road) at the end of the ramp bear right. At the first light turn left onto Concord Road. Follow Concord Road to first stop sign. Turn right onto Pleasant Acres Road. The York County Archives is approximately 1 block on your right.